👋 Hi! I'm Carl
I love the moments when simple technology creates a feeling of wonder. I believe programming is a creative and aesthetic process. Technology mirrors its originating culture and environment.
I've been in the startup world for 20 years, as a programmer and ops nerd, a founder, an engineering manager, and an exec coach.
I learned to code by writing internet games at 14.
Insta · GitHub · LinkedIn · Mastodon · Substack ·
👨🏻💻 Work History
- Smallstep offroad engineer
- Trove co-founder. Built and led Trove's engineering team
- Zipcar engineer #1. Extreme full-stack engineer. Wrote the code that opens your Zipcar.
- OurGoods co-founder. Built a bartering network for creative professionals
- Software projects for The American Museum of Natural History, ITP@NYU, and others
- Mentor/EIR at Code for America fellowship, Singularity U and CCA Design Strategy MBA program
🎨 Side Projects
See my post The Power of Side Projects for a deeper dive
- CLI Guidelines is a guide to designing great command line applications. Written with Ben Firshman, Aanand Prasad, and Eva Parish.
- Multiverse generative art scripts for Adobe Photoshop — created with artist Petra Cortright for Rhizome's Seven on Seven 2018. Watch our 7x7 talk (22 min)
- heal.lgbt queer healing resources 🌈
- Shuffle my Deep Work playlist ( Music) to reach peak flow
- Jackpot a Chrome extension that turns the web into a casino
- Mindfulness for Nerds an 8-week course on focus and flow
- I make mundane photographs
- Wine Flavor Wheel a visualization of how different wines taste
- The Flag of Equal Marriage a flag I designed in support of same-sex marriage in the US
- Visual metronome at Dynamicland, a simple adjustable metronome